Nano Quad RC Drone
Good things come in small packages and this fun-packed marvel of miniaturisation is the world’s tiniest RC drone.
To quote Blink 182’s ‘All the small things’: “I'll take one lift, your ride best trip…” and that’s definitely the case with the Nano Quad Micro Quadcopter. It won’t deliver your Amazon goodies or be deployed by the military to carry out remote operations against uppity foreigners but it will put a dirty great manure-munching smile on your fizzog.
Measuring just 6.4 cm from rotor tip to rotor tip, weighing a mouse-bothering 11.3g (0.4oz) and producing a drone like an angry hornet, flying the Nano is in fact just like piloting a large bug… albeit one tricked out with dazzling red and blue LEDs. Like a four-prop’d disco dragonfly.
The designers have made every effort has been made to strip the ‘copter of extraneous material in order to keep the weight down and achieve the smallest possible footprint; to the extent that it resembles nothing so much as a skidlid-sporting flying circuit board. And because of that pared down aesthetic, a full charge of its 3.7 V 100 mAh LiPo battery - via the handset - will keep the Quad aloft for a good 5-10 minutes.
But just because it’s small, don’t assume the easy-to-fly Nano can’t handle a bit of playground rough housing… au contraire, it can soak up punishment like a punch-drunk prizefighter. The odd rotor might ping off if you get a bit kamikaze but it’s very easy to fix (and it also it comes with four spares).
If you're looking for a pocketful of fun that you can fly around your living room or office, or you like to get your jollies dive-bombing ants whilst screaming “get some!”, then step this way… It’s a lot less bovver with a hover!
- One-piece PCB frame with LED lights (indicates front and back of the heli, and also helps in low light flying)
- Indoor use only. Approx. 50m range
- For ages 14 and above
- Requires 2 x AAA batteries (not included)
- Pack includes: Nano Quadcopter, 4 channel 2.4GHz radio with digital trims, 100mAh 3.7V LiPo battery, USB charge cord, 4 spare rotor blades and instructions
- Dimensions: 1.8 x 1.8" (45 x 45mm)
- Weight: 11.3g (0.4oz)
- NB: Due to its very small size, the Proto-X has a built-in LiPo battery that is not designed to be replaced. Attempting to remove or replace the Lipo battery will likely damage the quadcopter. In addition, precise placement of the battery is critical for proper CG, balance and performance and isn't recommended for consumer replacement.
Images provided by CNET, property of CBS Interactive. Original source.